"The Other Side"

Posted on October 28th, 2007 in Uncategorized) by Priceless Reflections...by Mel | 0 Comments »

First a HUGe thank you to all of you who have called and sent cards with well-wishes. It’s been really special to receive those now that I’m out of the hospital and back home.

For those of you who are just tuning in… it was a long (really long) week. After my last post to this blog – I went BACK to the hospital for surgery (they wanted me at the ‘big’ hospital downtown, no suburb hospital for me, gosh darn-it)…. I got there at 4am which is when nobody should even be awake.

There was even a LINE at the surgery check-in spot. Who knew it was so popular. They got me all checked in in between my nausea and stuff – and then proceeded to try and get my IV started. Well, turns out I have ‘tiny and deep’ veins. Why can’t I have tiny OTHER features?? LOL.

I am stuck no fewer than 20 times (and am STILL black and blue, painfully so) and they FINALLY called in the lady who pokes INFANTS as her job. She manages to stick me the last few times until a collective sigh of relief is heard on the entire floor. Imagine. My relief was the greatest.

Then I sit in this cold dark room awaiting my turn w/ the surgeons. They come in, slap on a blue netted hospital hat (very chic, I may say) and then tell me it’s party time. They take me to the OR where they make ME shimmy from the stretcher to the operating table. Is this a trick or something to see if you’re still able to move while connected to wires?

Anyway – I finally shimmy me, myself, and I onto the newer, cleaner (?) operating table whereupon one of my “people” says, “We’re going to inject you with some valium and some ‘other stuff’ to make you get sleepy.” Before he could barely finish the sentence, I immediately saw him turn into THREE people, then the room was spinning and the next thing I knew I was out of surgery.

I learned afterwards that they took out my gall bladder and, according to the surgeon, “More gall stones than I’ve seen in anyone… ever.” Hmm. They also shared with me that they used the help of a big metal tube which got stuck down my throat (??) which is why, they said, my mouth will be ‘really sore’ for the next week or so, also. Must be an added bonus.

So… they give me ginger ale (eew yuck gross) as I ‘come to’ in the recovery room and then David got to take me home to my awaiting crew, who were MORE than happy to have me home. (The hospital scared Ari). I have huge bandages all over my belly (which is awful because I spent the last 6 months LOSING 55 pounds and now can’t even WEAR my jeans because it hurts to button them, LOL)…. so I’m down to wearing really big sweat pants and lookin’ like a slob.

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all of you who were so kind when David called to reschedule your sessions. I should be, according to these great doctors… up and running in the next week or so – better than new. If we haven’t called yet to get you rescheduled – I will be calling soon to get that done.

Your patience and understanding and support has been very kind and it is appreciated from the very bottom of my heart.

And a huge special thanks to David, the best husband in the world – he has taken care of the kids non-stop, catered to me hand and foot (which those of you who know me well, know how high-maintenance I can be HA HA HA)… and had to do all this while not out flying. Husbands like David don’t grow on trees and I know I hit the jackpot when I married him.

Ok enough sappiness. (It’s narcotic-induced, I promise) Thanks to you all and now you’ve all been updated.

(the final diagnosis was pancreatitis, gall bladder disease and gall stones, and liver something or other). But looks like I’m over the worst and can’t wait to get back out and SHOOOOOOOT!!!

Post a comment